I know this isn’t as exciting as the 40th anniversary of “Jessie’s Girl” reaching #1 on the charts, but today is the seventh anniversary of the My Rick Springfield Crush blog.
OK, now back to our regular scheduled program.
“Jessie’s Girl” reached #1 on the chart on Aug. 1, 1981 so it was the No. 1 song when MTV launched. In honor of that, let’s revisit this great interview by Martha Quinn from 1981.
Next up is a teeny tiny sample of the new album “Jack Chrome and the Darkness Waltz” that RS worked on with Russell Morris from Australia. It’s scheduled to come out Oct. 15.
‘Jack Chrome and the Darkness Waltz’ is a project I worked on with my Aussie buddy Russel Morris during the lockdown. Coming to you in October and it’s available now for preorder: https://t.co/m6zrVzsZtW pic.twitter.com/YdlJ40G0m7— Rick Springfield (@rickspringfield) August 6, 2021
Plus of course it’s RS’s birthday month and if it were a normal year, there would already be “Happy birthday” singalongs at concerts. Unfortunately it looks like some of the concerts won’t be happening before the big day (Aug. 23), so here’s a little “Happy Birthday” snippet from 2019:
It looks like in previous years I had more time on my hands and recapped the whole year in great detail but this year I’ll simply share the past six years by linking to last year’s post, “Cheers to 6 years.”
Highlights from this past year are:
- Appearances with Sammy Hagar to promote Beach Bar Rum
- Fans raised 21,771.71 for dogs in last year’s birthday campaign
- Sirius fun with interviews and Working Class DJ
- A musical guest on the reality show “I Can See Your Voice“
- The release of “World on Fire” the sequel to his first novel, on Audible
- A documentary on the making of “Orchestrating My Life”
- The 40th anniversary of “Working Class Dog”
- The release of “Love is Gonna Come at Last,” RS singing a Badfinger song
- The super secret Red Locusts project
- Release of the animated video for “Another Bad Day for Cupid“
- A new song from Zoot, “That Was Then“
Looking forward to the release of “Jack Chrome and the Darkness Waltz” coming out in October and the video of RS and his band playing “Working Class Dog,” in the order on the album. (He recently mentioned that on the Working Class DJ show). He’ll likely have some other surprises as well.